There are 5 groups in the class and the work is tailored to meet the needs of each individual group. We are using a scheme of books called PM books which are specially designed for tailored programmes such as this.
During every session, the children have an opportunity to participate in the following activities:
- Phonological awareness (sounds in words, rhyme, syllables, segmenting words etc)
- Phonics (blending sounds to make words, learning phonic rules etc)
- Reading a New Book (helping children to de-code new words, use contextual clues etc)
- Re-reading a book that was read the previous day (understanding the story)
- Writing (The children are helped to write independently)
What do the children think?
• I really like getting a new book every day
• I like writing on my own
• I love the pictures in the books
• It is lots of fun
• I love changing activities every 10 minutes
• I like being in a small group